I tried “cutting” the image of one of the little balls and pasting it onto the image of the table. Then I made copies of the ball. These copies can be animated using Actionscript.
I must say, I am a bit pleasantly surprised. The results are not perfect, but I was expecting them to be terrible and that I would need to resort to a vector-based solution. Maybe there’s some potential in this approach. I will need to explore this.
Lately I’ve been so absorbed with getting to grips with Flash and Actionscript, the tools that I will be using, that I neglected to do further thinking about what they will be used for precisely.. It is time to start considering more ideas for applications (while still learning Actionscript).
– The “magnetic aura” app that was described before. The visual approach however could either be vector based, or use actual photographs of small metal objects which will be getting magnetized..
– An application that would leave a trail (line) behind the mouse pointer with a colour code corresponding to speed. When the user for instance moves the cursor at a slow speed, the line formed can be blue. When done quicker, the new line will be red, etc.
– A variation on the “magnetic aura” app: metal balls placed on a table or forming an index. When the cursor approaches, their balance is disrupted – the ball closest to the cursor is attracted to it and this disturbs the balance. When released, movement between the balls (attraction/repulsion) is initiated. (Note to self: sound of ball moving on surface..maybe from bowling for instance, being made slightly higher in pitch)
– Concentric circles, like a kitchen stove. When the mouse cursor is above them, they begin to get progressively “hotter” (colour change).
– A lot objects on a table, e.g. pieces of torn paper , on top of each other. The mouse cursor is a blow-dryer.. Where it blows the objects are moved (in a random distance) and that particular area becomes “clean” (you can see the table). This way you can “write” a message. (Not to self: find sound of blow-dryer! Also maybe the cursor icon could be changed temporarily..)
General comment: Some of these ideas could be implemented in the same application..like different games placed on a table.
Lately I’ve been focused on figuring out how to implement things in Flash and Actionscript. It is probably time to start thinking how the application might look visually. Almost everything can be made to rotate/follow the mouse cursor etc in Flash/Actionscript.
Here is an interesting image (album cover)..could something like this be used?